Languages Across the Curriculum (LxC)

The blog is dedicated to news and information regarding the LxC program at Binghamton University

Monday, November 28, 2005

Simple Memorizing Techniques

I found an interesting article about techniques for memorizing lists, numbers, and names on the web today. Some of the tips/techniques are pretty well known, but what I particularly liked about the article was its preface on how our minds work. The part that most caught my attention related closely to teaching, specifically the importance of creating or alluding to students' frame of reference:

"By the same token, when we want to learn something new, it is much easier if we already have a mental framework for it. This allows us to compare, contrast or otherwise connect the new information with what is already stored. If I have a good understanding of history and I am told the date of some event, I will plug it into the set of dates already in my memory. There is a good chance I will remember it. Without the framework, I'd probably forget it immediately."